You discovered your keys aren’t working and now you are wondering the ways you can unlock the keyboard on your dell laptop. A keyboard is bound to have a problem one way or another because it is a computer device on its own.
You are watching: Num lock key on dell laptop
Before I reveal the methods to you, I want to show you why or what caused you to have a locked keyboard on your dell laptop.Tip – Learn how to resolve common windows problem with this trick.
Why Your Dell Laptop Keyboard is Locked
There are several reasons why your dell laptop keyboard is locked but you will find the most common reasons below.These are the reasons:Fn Lock.Num Lock.Outdated keyboard driver.Dead wireless keyboard battery.Damaged keyboard.
1. Fn LockYour Dell laptop’s Fn key is known as the function key on your keyboard that gives you the option to change settings or toggle features by tapping a combination of keys. It’s possible to accidentally lock the “Fn” key when you drop your dell laptop or your pet sits on your keyboard.
The Fn key is located usually beside the windows logo button on your keyboard.Laptop Power Button Not Working On Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer
2. Num LockNum Lock can also be referred to as a Numeric Lock which is a key on the numeric keypad on your dell keyboard.It is a lock key similar to Caps Lock and Scroll Lock which gives you the option to change the function of the numeric keypad commonly located to the right-hand side of your dell main keyboard, and is commonly displayed by an LED built into the keyboard.
The Num Lock can help you unlock your dell keyboard using the troubleshooting method below.Dropped Laptop Won’t Boot – Symptoms, And Solutions
3. Outdated Keyboard DriverEvery device connected to your dell laptop must have a driver installed on your laptop. The reason for this is to help your computer understand and recognize the device that is connected to it.Sometimes when a driver is not installed properly or outdated, this situation confuses your computer to react in not recognizing the device at all.It is important to check if your dell keyboard driver is properly installed or needs an update when your dell keyboard is malfunctioning.Updating your keyboard drivers can help you unlock your keyboard using the troubleshooting method below.
Dell Laptop Brightness Control Not Working
4. Dead Wireless Keyboard BatteryThis option is for you only if you are using a wireless keyboard. Batteries are important to power your dell wireless keyboard. Sometimes it’s difficult to know when your battery is dead and needs to be recharged or replaced.When your dell wireless keyboard stops working all of a sudden, the first thing you should check is your batteries.Dell Beep Codes –
5. Damaged KeyboardSometimes it is easier to just face the truth. If you have tried every method to unlock your dell keyboard and it’s still not working, maybe you should accept the fact that you have bad keyboard.Dropping your laptop and spilling water on your dell keyboard can damage your keyboard.Before concluding if you have dead keyboard, I suggest you try all the troubleshooting method i am going to show you below.Tip – If your dell laptop keyboard isn’t working, here’s how to fix it.
How To Unlock Keyboard On Dell LaptopThere are different methods to unlock your Dell keyboard and i have provided the most important guides below to help you quickly.
How to unlock keyboard on Dell laptop:Unlock Dell Fn key.Unlock Num Lock.Update Keyboard Diver.Drain Dell Laptop Static Electricity.Replace Dell Keyboard.
1. Unlock Dell Fn KeyThis Method is to help you Unlock your dell keyboard by Unlocking your Fn key
Method 1Press and hold the Fn key located close to the windows logo keyWhile holding the Fn key, tap the Num Lock key at the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard to unlock the Fn key.if this method doesn’t work, press and hold Fn and Esc key to unlock the Fn keyOBS Not Capturing GameMethod 2Hold down the Fn key and tap the F3 key to bring up the Dell battery monitor screen.Tap Fn and F10 together to eject the disk drive.Method 3Hold down the Fn key and tap the up arrow key to increase the screen’s brightness, and press the down arrow key to decrease the screen’s brightness.Now tap on one of the keys to increases or decreases the brightness to its maximum or minimum.
Tip – How to screen grab your screen on dell laptop.
2. Unlock Num LockIf the number keys by the right-hand side of your dell keyboard are the only keys not working, then it means your dell keyboard Num Lock is locked and needs to be unlocked.To unlock the Num Lock key,Locate the Num Lock key by your top right-hand side for your laptop keyboard. On the key is written Num Lock, clicking on it should unlock the Num Lock Key.Most times, you might need to hold Fn and the Num Lock key to unlock the Num Lock key.Tip – Learn different ways to turn on wifi on your dell laptop.
HP Mute Button Light Not Working
3. Update Keyboard DriverYour keyboard driver might be outdated and needs to me updated.To update your Keyboard driver,Click on the Windows logo key and search for device managerRun device managerOnce it opens, locate keyboards and click on the drop-downDepending on the number of drivers in the drop-down list, you will have to update everything.Right-click on one the drivers and click updateA message will pop up asking you how you want to search for your battery drivers, select Search automatically for updated driver software.Now let windows search for you drivers automaticallyIf your drivers are not up to date, update your drivers and restart your laptop. If otherwise, Proceed to the next step.HP Laptop Mute Button Stuck On OrangeTip – How to fix black screen on dell.
See more: Lord Of The Lord Of The Flies The Beast ) Symbol Analysis, The Lord Of The Flies (The Beast) Symbol Analysis
4. Drain Dell Laptop Static ElectricityThis method is highly recommended and works for most peopleTo perform this method,Turn off your dell laptopUnplug your Dell charger and remove your dell battery. If your laptop is using an inbuilt battery, open your laptop with a screwdriver and carefully detach the battery cableNow hold your Power button for 40 to 50 secondsReconnect your battery and chargerTurn on your laptopHow To Wake Up Dell Laptop From Sleep Mode
5. Replace Dell KeyboardAt this point if your dell laptop keyboard isn’t working, I suggest you replace it.
But before you replace it, seek the help of a professional to help you diagnose your laptop properly and confirm if really your keyboard needs to be replaced.HP Laptop Randomly RestartsRECOMMENDED