Welcome come the JeepSpecs.com comprehensive page on WJ Generation Jeep grand Cherokee cooling mechanism service. We have organized as much info as we can find right into a helpful article below. Is something untrue or missing? Please call us and we’ll fix it!
Both the 4.0L and 4.7L engines use 195° thermostats for all model years from 1999-2004. Once replacing a thermostat that is an extremely important to download one with the same temperature rating (the only exception can be with certain performance changes or chips that recommend or need a different temperature thermostat). No benefits or performance gains have the right to be establish by installation a “cooler” thermostat into a share engine. Doing for this reason is no recommended, the will give you chillier heat in the winter and may interfere v engine performance.
You are watching: 2004 jeep grand cherokee coolant type
A thermostat rated lower than the factory thermostat will richen your fuel mixture a little at the expense of gas mileage, raised exhaust emissions and also dirtying her oil quicker – not to point out shortening the life of your cylinder walls and catalytic converters and more frequent spark plug changes. The unnoticeable performance gain, if any type of at all, is merely not precious the potential drawbacks.
Radiator hose clamps
The cooling device utilizes both worm drive and spring type hose clamps. If a spring form clamp instead of is necessary, change with the original Mopar devices spring type clamp.
CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of consistent tension clamps. If instead of is necessary, use only a original devices clamp with equivalent number or letter. See image below.
The worm kind hose clamp provides a specified torque value to maintain ideal tension ~ above a hose connection. The spring kind hose clamp applies consistent tension on a water tap connection.
WARNING: constant TENSION water tap CLAMPS ARE supplied ON most COOLING system HOSES. Once REMOVING OR INSTALLING, USE only TOOLS DESIGNED for SERVICING THIS form OF CLAMP, such AS special CLAMP device MILLER p/n 8495A. SNAP-ON CLAMP device p/n HCP20 may BE offered FOR larger CLAMPS. Constantly WEAR security GLASSES when SERVICING consistent TENSION CLAMPS. A NUMBER OR LETTER IS STAMPED into THE TONGUE OF constant TENSION CLAMPS. IF replacement IS NECESSARY, USE just AN ORIGINAL tools CLAMP WITH corresponding NUMBER OR LETTER.
Radiator hose constant tension clamp – size location
4.0L engine – Draining the cooling system
WARNING: do NOT eliminate THE CYLINDER BLOCK drain PLUGS OR loosen THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH mechanism HOT and also UNDER PRESSURE. Severe BURNS native COOLANT can OCCUR.
1. Execute NOT remove radiator cap first. With engine cold, locate radiator draincock top top the right reduced side that radiator encountering to rear of vehicle.
2. Affix one end of a hose to the draincock. Put the other finish into a clean container. Open up draincock and drain coolant indigenous radiator. This will empty the coolant reserve/overflow tank. The coolant walk not need to be removed from the tank unless the device is being refilled with a new mixture. When tank is empty, eliminate radiator cap and continue draining cooling system. To drainpipe the engine block of coolant, eliminate the cylinder block drainpipe plug, situated on the next of cylinder block listed below the exhaust manifold.
4.0L engine – refilling the cooling system
Coolant recommendations and also cautions:
The encourage mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and also low mineral content water. Never use pure antifreeze. Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant v corrosion inhibitors referred to as HOAT) is recommended. This coolant uses the finest engine cooling there is no corrosion when blended with 50% distilled water.
Antifreeze mixture must constantly be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum defense (-90d) is listed with a 68% mixture protection. If the percentage is reduced than 44 percent, engine parts might be eroded through cavitation, and also cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.
CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be blended with any kind of other kind of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than stated (non-HOAT or various other HOAT), may result in engine damages that may not be covered under the brand-new vehicle warranty, and also decreased corrosion protection.
CAUTION: do not usage coolant additives that are asserted to boost engine cooling.
4.0L coolant capacity:
1999-2000: 13.0 qts. (including 2.3 qts. For resevoir)2001-2004: 15.0 qts. (including 1 qt. For resevoir)
1. Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drain plug(s) (if removed).
2. Fill system using a 50/50 mixture that ethyleneglycol antifreeze and low mineral content water. Fill radiator to top and also install radiator cap. Add sufficient coolant come the reserve/overflow tank to raise level to complete mark.
3. With heater regulate unit in the warmth position, run engine through radiator lid in place.
4. After engine has actually reached common operating temperature, closeup of the door engine off and enable it come cool. Once engine is cooling down, coolant will certainly be drawn into the radiator indigenous the reserve/overflow tank.
5. Include coolant come reserve/overflow tank as necessary. Only include coolant come the reserve/overflow tank once the engine is cold. Coolant level in a heat engine will be higher due to heat expansion. Come purge the cooling mechanism of every air, this heat up/cool down cycle (adding coolant come cold engine) must be performed three times. Add necessary coolant come raise tank level come the complete mark after every cool down period.
4.0L engine – adding additional coolant
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads and also water pumps needs special corrosion protection. Only Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant v corrosion inhibitors dubbed HOAT, for Hybrid organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant uses the best engine cooling there is no corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain to attain a freeze suggest of -35°F (-37°C). If that loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace v fresh properly blended coolant solution.
CAUTION: execute not use coolant additives the are declared to improve engine cooling.
4.7L engine – Draining the cooling system
WARNING: do NOT eliminate THE CYLINDER BLOCK drainpipe PLUGS OR loosen THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH device HOT and also UNDER PRESSURE. Serious BURNS indigenous COOLANT can OCCUR.
1. Perform NOT eliminate radiator cap first. V engine cold, situate radiator draincock on the left reduced side the radiator encountering to rear of vehicle.
2. Connect one finish of a water tap to the draincock. Put the other end into a clean container. Open up draincock and also drain coolant from radiator. This will empty the coolant reserve/overflow tank. The coolant does not have to be removed from the tank unless the mechanism is being refilled v a new mixture. Once tank is empty, eliminate radiator cap and also continue draining cooling system. To drain the engine block the coolant, remove the cylinder block drainpipe plug, situated on the next of cylinder block below the exhaust manifold.
4.7L engine – refilling the cooling system and adding additional coolant
Coolant recommendations and also cautions:
The encourage mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral contents water. Never ever use pure antifreeze. Just Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant through corrosion inhibitors referred to as HOAT) is recommended. This coolant supplies the best engine cooling there is no corrosion when combined with 50% distilled water.
Antifreeze mixture must constantly be at least 44%, every climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is detailed with a 68% mixture protection. If the portion is lower than 44 percent, engine parts might be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may it is in severely damaged through corrosion.
CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any kind of other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than mentioned (non-HOAT or various other HOAT), may result in engine damages that may not be extended under the brand-new vehicle warranty, and also decreased corrosion protection.
CAUTION: carry out not usage coolant additives that are declared to boost engine cooling.
4.7L coolant capacity:
1999-2000: 13.0 qts. (including 2.3 qts. For resevoir)2001-2004: 14.5 qts. (including 1 qt. For resevoir)
1. Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drainpipe plug(s) (if removed).
CAUTION: fail to purge wait from the cooling system can result in an overheating condition and severe engine damage.
2. Eliminate the cooling mechanism bleed plug native the radiator upper hose inlet housing (see photo below for plug location). Fill system using a 50/50 mixture that ethylene-glycol antifreeze and low mineral contents water, till coolant begains coming the end of the cooling mechanism bleed hole. Download the cooling system bleed plug. Fill radiator come top and install radiator cap. Include sufficient coolant come the reserve/overflow tank to raise level to full mark.
3. With heater control unit in the warm position, run engine through radiator cap in place.
4. After ~ engine has actually reached common operating temperature, closeup of the door engine turn off and allow it to cool. When engine is cooling down, coolant will certainly be drawn into the radiator indigenous the reserve/overflow tank.
5. Add coolant to reserve/overflow tank together necessary. Only include coolant to the reserve/overflow tank once the engine is cold. Coolant level in a heat engine will certainly be higher due to thermal expansion. Come purge the cooling system of every air, this heat up/cool under cycle (adding coolant to cold engine) should be performed 3 times. Add necessary coolant come raise tank level come the complete mark after every cool under period.
Cooling device bleed plug – 4.7L engines only
4.0L and 4.7L – Cooling mechanism reverse flushing
CAUTION: The cooling system normally operates at 14 to 18 psi (97 to 124 kPa) pressure. Exceeding this press may damages the radiator or hoses.
Reverse flushing of the cooling mechanism is the forcing of water with the cooling system. This is done using air press in the contrary direction of typical coolant flow. The is normally only important with really dirty equipment with proof of partial plugging.
If visual inspection shows the development of sludge or scaly deposits, use a radiator cleaner (Mopar Radiator Kleen or equivalent) prior to flushing. This will soften scale and other deposits and assist the flushing operation.
CAUTION: Be certain instructions top top the container room followed
Reverse flushing the radiator
Disconnect the radiator hoses indigenous the radiator fittings. Affix a ar of radiator hose to the radiator bottom outlet fitting and also insert the flushing gun. Affix a water it is provided hose and air supply hose to the flushing gun.
CAUTION: The cooling system typically operates in ~ 14 come 18 psi (97-to-124 kPa) pressure. Exceeding this press may damages the radiator or hoses.
Allow the radiator come fill with water. Once radiator is filled, use air in brief blasts allowing radiator come refill in between blasts. Proceed this turning back flushing till clean water operation out through rear of radiator cooling tube passages. For an ext information, refer to operating instructions supplied with flushing equipment. Have radiator cleaned more extensively by a radiator repair shop.
Reverse flushing the engine
Drain the cooling mechanism (as defined above). Eliminate the thermostat housing and thermostat. Install the thermostat housing. Disconnect the radiator top hose native the radiator and also attach the flushing gun come the hose. Disconnect the radiator reduced hose from the water pump. Affix a lead far hose to the water pump inlet fitting.
CAUTION: Be certain that the heater manage valve is closed (heat off). This is done to avoid coolant flow with scale and also other deposits native entering the heater core.
Connect the water it is provided hose and also air supply hose to the flushing gun. Permit the engine to fill v water. When the engine is filled, use air in short blasts, enabling the system to fill between air blasts. Continue until clean water flows through the lead far hose. For more information, describe operating instructions offered with flushing equipment.
Remove the lead away hose, flushing gun, water it is provided hose and also air it is provided hose. Eliminate the thermostat housing. Install the thermostat and also housing with a replacement gasket. Connect the radiator hoses. Refill the cooling mechanism with the correct antifreeze/water mixture as described above.
4.0L engine – Thermostat removal
WARNING: perform NOT ease THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK through THE mechanism HOT and also PRESSURIZED. Severe BURNS from THE COOLANT have the right to OCCUR.
1. Drainpipe the coolant indigenous the radiator until the level is below the thermostat housing. Carry out not waste recycle coolant. If the equipment is clean, drainpipe the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
2. Remove radiator upper hose and heater water tap at thermostat housing. View cautions above for removed radiator hose clamps.
3. Disconnect wiring connector in ~ engine coolant temperature sensor.
4. Remove thermostat real estate mounting bolts, thermostat housing, gasket and thermostat. Discard old gasket.
5. Clean the gasket adjustment surfaces.
WARNING: continuous TENSION hose CLAMPS ARE provided ON many COOLING device HOSES. As soon as REMOVING OR INSTALLING, USE only TOOLS DESIGNED for SERVICING THIS form OF CLAMP, such AS distinct CLAMP tool MILLER p/n 8495A. SNAP-ON CLAMP tool p/n HCP20 may BE used FOR larger CLAMPS. Always WEAR security GLASSES when SERVICING constant TENSION CLAMPS. A NUMBER OR LETTER IS STAMPED right into THE TONGUE OF consistent TENSION CLAMPS. IF instead of IS NECESSARY, USE just AN ORIGINAL devices CLAMP WITH matching NUMBER OR LETTER.
4.0L engine – Thermostat installation
1. Download the replacement thermostat so the the pellet, i beg your pardon is encircled through a coil spring, encounters the engine. Every thermostats are marked on the external flange to suggest the proper installed position.(a) observe the recess groove in the engine cylinder head.(b) position thermostat in groove v arrow and air bleed hole on external flange pointing up.
2. Install replacement gasket and thermostat housing.
CAUTION: Tightening the thermostat housing unevenly or with the thermostat out of the recess, may result in a cracked housing.
3. Tighten the real estate bolts come 16 ft. Lbs. (22 N·m) torque.
4. Install hoses come thermostat housing.
5. Install electrical connector to coolant temperature sensor.
6. Be certain that the radiator draincock is strict closed. Fill the cooling system to the exactly level v the forced coolant mixture. Check out refill direction above.
7. Start and warm the engine. Inspect for leaks.
4.7L engine – Thermostat removal
WARNING: execute NOT ease RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH mechanism HOT and PRESSURIZED. Major BURNS indigenous COOLANT have the right to OCCUR.
1. Disconnect negative battery cable in ~ battery.
2. Drain cooling system. Carry out not waste reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drainpipe coolant into a clean container for reuse. If thermostat is being replaced, be certain that instead of is stated thermostat for auto model and also engine type.
3. Remove splash shield.
4. Remove lower radiator hose clamp and lower radiator water tap at thermostat housing. Check out cautions over for removing radiator water tap clamps.
5. Eliminate thermostat real estate mounting bolts, thermostat housing and also thermostat.
4.7L engine – Thermostat installation
1. Clean mating locations of timing chain cover and thermostat housing.
2. Install thermostat (spring side down) right into recessed machined groove on time chain cover.
3. Place thermostat real estate on time chain cover.
4. Install two housing-to-timing chain covering bolts. Tighten bolts come 115 in. Lbs. (13 N·m) torque.
CAUTION: housing must be tightened evenly and also thermostat should be focused into recessed groove in timimg chain cover. If not, the may result in a cracked housing, damaged time chain sheathe threads or coolant leaks.
5. Install reduced radiator water tap on thermostat housing.
6. Download splash shield.
7. Be certain that the radiator draincock is tightly closed. Fill cooling system. See refill directions above.
8. Connect negative battery cable come battery.
See more: Life Is Not About The Breaths You Take, Life Is Not Measured By The Breaths We Take
9. Start and warm the engine. Check for leaks.
WJ Thermostat components 1999-2004
|4.7L||Thermostat & gasketHousing||52079476AB53020887AB||$26.60$14.50|