Changing her Jeep"s oil is a pretty basic job that anyone have the right to do at house in the driveway. Act it you yourself not just saves girlfriend a few bucks, but gives you a opportunity to visually examine other points on your Jeep in ~ the exact same time. And when you do it yourself, you deserve to rest easy understanding the job is excellent right and also with the exact parts or fluids of her choosing. Depending upon your Jeep, whether you"ve mounted a lifted supsension or not, you may even have the ability to tackle this job without any kind of jacks and jack stands or driveway ramps. And also is some cases you can also do this project without raising your Jeep also if the suspension is fully stock. I"ll be using a lift, simply to make the job of taking images easier, however really all you need for this job is a couple of hand tools.
You are watching: 1999 jeep grand cherokee oil capacity
What You will Need
6 quarts the 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending top top the temperature variety anticipated prior to your next oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / paper Towels--- not crucial - but valuable ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before working on your Jeep, constantly park ~ above a level surface, placed it in park and set the parking break. It"s always a great idea come chock the wheel to it is in extra safe whenever functioning under your Jeep.
Before starting to change the oil, operation the engine for a few minutes to warm the engine oil. This will assist the oil circulation easier and also quicker.
According to the owner"s manual, 5W-30 is the preferred oil for both the 4.7L and the 4.7L High calculation engines and is ideal for ecological operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If girlfriend live in one area that sees external temperatures over 100ºF then you need to use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler lid to assist allow all the oil to drain from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from within the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, remove the drain bolt indigenous the bottom the the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Save some record towels near by to clean up any spills or drips and to wipe off any kind of oil that may splash onto your exhaust. After ~ the oil has actually finished draining, replace the drain bolt and also torque to 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening works perfectly fine because that the drain bolt if girlfriend don"t have actually a torque wrench.)
5. Using her oil filter wrench, eliminate the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the procedures for installing your new oil filter.
6. Clean and inspect the oil filter sealing surface ar to be certain there"s no corrosion or debris the may reason a poor seal ~ above the brand-new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal ~ above your new oil filter with a few drops of clean motor oil.
8. Install the brand-new filter on to the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using an oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 more revolution past hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine with oil. The 4.7L engine requires 6 Quarts the oil. If you"re utilizing a 5 Quart jug, don"t forget to add one additional quart.
11. Clean off and re-install the oil filler baffle the you eliminated earlier.
12. Clean turn off the oil cap, then lubricate the oil seal top top the cap with a couple of drops that clean motor oil. This will aid make removing your oil cap throughout your next oil adjust much easier.
See more: What Is The Prime Factorization Of 270 Please Explain, Find Prime Factorization/Factors Of 270
13. The overhead Electronic vehicle Information facility or EVIC for short keeps monitor of as soon as it"s time to complete an oil change. Be sure to reset the organization interval after ~ completing her oil adjust so you"ll be reminded as soon as it"s time to adjust it again. With the Jeep in park (the crucial can it is in in the on place with or there is no the engine running) push the STEP button until the business message appears on screen. Then press and hold the RESET button for a few seconds. The EVIC will beep and reset. The EVIC have the right to be programmed come different service intervals depending upon your driving actions by utilizing the MENU switch when the Jeep is in park.