Conversions from HPs to Watts and vice versa are often required when dealing with batteries and marine/automotive applications, but may lead to errors, since there are several definitions of Horse Power (HP) and the amount of power that it represents.
You are watching: 1 hp is how many watts
Here is the list of the most popular and most commonly used Horse Power (HP) definitions and their equivalent values given in Watts.
Published: February 24, 2021.
Horse Power (HP) Names and Definitions
Since horses were used for ages for various tasks, with the invention of the steam engine, electric motor, internal combustion engines, etc. it was required to find the way how to compare working abilities of horses with the working abilities of new engines.
And Horse Power (HP) was born. And as always in life, several versions, often very similar started to be used, leading to confusion and sometimes errors.
Here are the names of the most common HPs and their values (alphabetic order):
- Air Horsepower: hp = 745.69987 W,
- Boiler Horsepower: hp(S) = 9812.5 W,
- Electric Horsepower: hp(E) = 746 W,
- Hydraulic Horsepower: hp = 745.69987 W
- Mechanical Horsepower: hp(I) = 745.69987 W,
- Metric Horsepower: hp(M) = 735.49875 W.
As one can see, most HPs are around 745.69987 W and thus, electric horsepower is defined as being:
1 HP = 746 watts
Also, this means that 1 kW equals to:
1 kW = 1.3404825 HP
or, 1 W equals to:
1 W = 0.0013404825 HP
For example, Mighty Max ML75-12 SLA AGM battery features 60 minutes constant power discharge value of 586.2 watts, discharged down to 9.6 volts, which equals to:
P = 586.2 watts = 586.2/746 = 0.78579 HP
Long Story Short: Here is the list of common HP values converted into watts:
- 1 HP to Watts - 746 watts,
- 1.5 HP to Watts - 1119 watts,
- 2 HP to Watts - 1492 watts,
- 5 HP to Watts - 3730 watts,
- 10 HP to Watts - 7460 watts, or 7.46 kW,
- 100 HP to Watts - 74600 watts, or 74.6 kW.
See more: Sims 3 Get Rid Of Zombies - Help! Can'T Get Rid Of Zombies!
Also, here is the list of most common wattage values converted into the HPs:
- 100 Watts to HP - 0.134 HP,
- 500 Watts to HP - 0.67 HP,
- 1000 Watts to HP - 1.34 HP,
- 1200 Watts to HP - 1.608 HP,
- 2000 Watts to HP - 2.6809 HP, etc.
Conversion between HPs and Watts is simple, just be sure to remember the formulas: